Re: g++ serious bug in Ubuntu Lucid Lynx

Bah!  It didn't really get sent to the list the first time.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: g++ serious bug in Ubuntu Lucid Lynx
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 14:30:06 -0700
From: David Daney <ddaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: David R. Doucette <ddoucette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: 'Ian Lance Taylor' <iant@xxxxxxxxxx>, gcc-help@xxxxxxx

On 06/03/2010 01:51 PM, David R. Doucette wrote:
I believe all that stuff was in the tar file I sent you. I followed the
instructions on the Web site. However, some of the stuff from the earlier
versions (Karmic and Jaunty) might be from 32 bit systems since our 64 bit
systems were the first to be upgraded before we hit the wall. However, the
version numbers should be the same.

Well, Ian did say that 32-bit and 64-bit ABIs differ with respect to how
they do structure layout.  When you switched from 32-bit to 64-bit, you
saw exactly this.  So it is probably not really a 'g++ serious bug', but
rather the intended behavior.

Probably your best bet would be to settle on a single ABI (say 32-bit
since that is apparently how your legacy data files are formatted).  An
alternative would be to change the way your application reads and writes
its data, so that it doesn't depend on the ABI in use.

David Daney