[help] the process from c source file to generic structure

hi everyone
I just want to "hack" gcc
when gcc compiling *.c , I want to add my code into the original source file
show as fellow :

int foo()
{
    my_function_begin;
    first statement;
    …
   last statement;
    my_function_end;
}

but now I confused with the process from c source file to generic structure
as far as I know : c_parser_translation_unit() means parse a translation
unit

my question is :
1st   Is the production of PARSE a so-called generic structure
2nd  What the translation unit means ?   the whole source file ?
3nd  According to the explanation:
   translation-unit:
     external-declarations

Is that means  c_parser_translation_unit()  only in charge of parse
external-declarations?
What about internal-declarations?

thanks a lot  for everyone helps me
cazy