'specs' directory interferes with the operation of gcc in configure scripts.

I apologize if this is a recurrent issue.  I searched both the gnu site and
Google, but I can't zero in on anything useful.

I meet this problem while compiling the XFree86 and the Xorg packages. A number of directories in those packages include both a 'configure' script an a
directory named 'specs'.  This prevents gcc from completing since gcc is
hard coded to look for a file called 'specs' (not a directory I guess).

For example,

pc3:~$ mkdir specs
pc3:~$ gcc -v
Reading specs from ./specs
gcc: ./specs: Is a directory
pc3:~$ echo $?
1

Now, I guess that the maintainers of Xorg can compile the package so there must be a trick I should know about. I am using a reasonably recent gcc. I use it
regularly to compile all kinds of packages including the Linux kernel without
problems (from gcc).

pc3:~$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.4.1

I compiled/installed gcc in the following location (/opt/gcc) and there is
no other version of gcc in /usr.  I use the following setup script,

prefix=/opt/gcc
export PATH="$prefix/bin:$PATH"
export INFOPATH="$prefix/info:$INFOPATH"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$prefix/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
export MANPATH="$prefix/share/man:$MANPATH"

Does anyone would know how to deal with this problem.

Thanks.

Richard