Gfortran installation problems

I made the mistake of downloading  and installing the latest gfortran
compiler for the Mac, without paying attention to the folder label saying
Snow Leopard (I am running Leopard 10.5.8, and trusting the web-page,
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinariesMacOS, which said that the binary
should be good for Leopard.  It wasn¹t.

When I attempted to compile with the new version, I got the following, no
matter how gfortran is invoked:

cloverm:~/CRESTONE/IAGO/20100201:[9]>gfortran -v
dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022
Trace/BPT trap

When I ³sudo rm -r /usr/local/gfortran /usr/local/bin/gfortran² the
installation (which the web page says will do an un-installation), I was
unable to reload my prior version of the compiler (from 20090321) -- the
installer now gives the message   ³You cannot install GNU Fortran compiler
(gfortran) on this volume. A newer version of this software already exists
on this volume.²

Even after a re-hash, I still get that message.  I seem to be screwed.  What
is going on?

P.S. If you want me to report a bug differently, you need to rewrite your
web pages ? I really don¹t want help to edit web pages.

Michael Clover
10260 Campus Point Drive, MS A-1
San Diego, CA  92121
ph: 858-826-5926