Re: Overloading reference operator

Hi,
On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 02:39:09PM +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 04/25/2010 04:44 AM, Samkit Jain wrote:
> > Yes my question is why does'nt assignment operator work out of the box ?
>
> But why should it?  You haven't defined one.

I believe the problem to be the following:
For the builtin-types, many candidate operator functions are already
predefined, for example

int& operator ++(int &);
int operator ++(int &, int);
int& operator =(int &, const int &);

for pre-increment, post-increment and assignment of integers.

Now, the way I understand overload resolution for

MyClass<int> instance;

the following will happen:

a) "instance++;" or "++instance;" and all other unary/binary operators
except assignment operators:
Those can be either defined as member functions of MyClass, or by
non-member functions with one/two parameters. This allows the compiler
to find the predefined operator functions like int& operator ++(int &),
which can be used after converting MyClass<int> to int& using the
reference operator &.

b) "instance=1" oder "instance=instance+1" or any other assignment:
Assignment operators have to be defined as member-functions of MyClass -
it is NOT possible to define assignment operators as
non-member-functions. Thus, during overload-resolution for an assignment
operators, the compiler does NOT try non-member functions, an thus it
does NOT find "int& operator =(int &, const int &);"

So as Andrew already suggested, it will only work when you define
explicitely as member-function an assignment operator which can be used
in this situation.

HTH,

Axel