Re: gcc 4.5.0 fails to compile - suffix application failure

salter michael wrote:
I am enclosing an attachment which is tarred and xz compressed.
In it is the output from the configure and make processes,"configure_op" and
"make_op", together with a reduced build tree.  This includes the various logs
and the *i686* directory trees which seem appropriate to the problem.

If you need any further information, please let me know.

I have sent this reply to the mailing list.  Is this the best way to respond?

Regards

Frank Salter

your make_op says:
checking for suffix of object files... configure: error: in `/mnt/system_development/sysdev1/gcc/gcc-4.5.0_build/build/i686-pc-linux-gnu/libgcc':
configure: error: cannot compute suffix of object files: cannot compile
See `config.log' for more details.

looking at build/i686-pc-linux-gnu/libgcc/config.log, we find:
/mnt/system_development/sysdev1/gcc/gcc-4.5.0_build/build/./gcc/cc1: error while loading shared libraries: libgmp.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So it seems that libgmp has not been found for whatever reason.

I don't know if that should happen or not (if it's a bug in the GCC
build process or if you made a mistake), but a solution might
be to add the directory where libgmp.so is to the environment
variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
Something like (under bash):
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/dir:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
and start the build process again.