ranlib linking problems on a mac

machine: quad core g5, 12 gig RAM, osx server 10.4.11

when i compiled gcc, it came up with something about ranlib not being multiple of 4 bytes. i stopped that for the time being and decided to watch a few movies which led me to want to install the latest xvid drivers. it seems i need to compile those as well so
here i am making those and associated libraries required.

i encountered the same exact ranlib error message here now
/usr/libexec/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/ld: malformed table of contents in: /volumes/macintosh_hd6/gcc/ffmpeg/libavformat/libavformat.a (ranlib struct 0 library member offset not a multiple of 4 bytes, can't load from it) /usr/libexec/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/ld: malformed table of contents in: /volumes/macintosh_hd6/gcc/ffmpeg/libavutil/libavutil.a (ranlib struct 0 library member offset not a multiple of 4 bytes, can't load from it)

can anybody tell me what to do? it seems to me my problem in compiling gcc is the same as my problem compiling ffmpeg and it's somehow related to the ranlib i have or how it was built but the first time i encountered that problem, the GNU binutils-2.20 folder doesn't have any way to tell the compiler or linker to make it 4 byte multiples.