Re: Help building basic cross-compiler

15.4.2010 18:41, Manuel Coutinho kirjoitti:
Hi

I've been trying to build a cross-compiler for sparc but havent got much
luck :(

I've configure GCC with:

./gcc-4.4.3/configure --target=sparc-edisoft-rtems --with-gnu-as
--with-gnu-as --without-newlib

The RTEMS RTOS uses newlib AFAIK...

So when the flag -DL_fixunssfsi is passed to compile libgcc2.c, the system
will try to find the limits.h file which is part of the newlib, but I don't
want newlib.

but you don't want it although RTEMS needs it... Must grok a while this
logic...

My goal is to have the most basic cross-compiler possible, not dependent on
any system or library that will use it.

So please make a choice for what you want, a GCC for RTEMS or a GCC for
something else than RTEMS...

Is this possible?

If you know what you want, people can tell if it is possible...

One guess would be that you would like to have a GCC for the common
'sparc-elf', ie. the toolchain should produce ELF-format objects.

Producing newlib binaries is totally voluntary! It maybe be the
assumption, the default action or whatever, but it has never been
obligatory!  Using a "fake" '--with-newlib' should enable producing
libgcc WITHOUT any headers, the libgcc configure knowing what newlib
is so why investigate anything via the headers?

People seemingly are full of the MS-propaganda ("If I need a PC, I must
also get Windows"), so the clause "If I need a base GCC, I must build
newlib", sounds totally sane for them...  Who on earth delivers this
false propaganda into the GCC world?

Tools versions:

gcc-4.4.3

A bare GCC can be produced without anything, headers or libs, provided
for the target system. Simply :

make all-gcc

"Make everything which belongs to GCC!"  A bare 'make' uses the
assumptions for "an ordinary builder"...

binutils-2.20

Just as binutils.

It takes a minute to start a GCC build for 'sparc-elf' with 'make all-gcc', but before it to make sure that there are no headers and no
libs for the target at all. I really have some GCCs for this target
installed from the past years, with a built common newlib - how else
I could test simple 'sparc-elf' executables in GDB/Insight?  A Finn
doesn't believe (a propaganda) until a Finn sees, that's a fact!