Re: Problem with cast from double to unsigned short int

A very similar question was answered on this list by Ian Lance Taylor on 3/24/2010. He wrote:

The C99 standard says that when converting floating point to integer,
the value is first truncated toward zero.  If the value of the
integral part cannot be represented by the integer type, the behaviour
is undefined.  This means that converting a negative floating point
value<= -1.0 to an unsigned integer type is undefined, and the code
may act unpredictably.

In your code, casting to a double yields 52536.0. Since this is not in the range -32768 to +32767 the cast to short int is undefined. So all bets are off.

I responded on 3/29:

I think this is a good illustration of why one should not use type casting to perform algorithmic operations. You should operate on the data and test the resulting value to ensure it will fit within the new type.

I'm a big fan of writing code that explicitly shows each step in an algorithm one statement at a time. If the operations are in a loop, and testing shows that the loop is slowing things down too much, then obscure and tricky code may be in order, but only with good commenting. The maintenance programmer, perhaps you at a later date, will appreciate being able to follow simple code.

--Bob