LTO: gimple does not encode all the semantics of a program ?

Hello,

I did not understand this slide shown in a presentation about LTO

" Gimple Does Not Encode all of the Semantics of a Program
• GCC relies on lang-hooks avoid representing many parts of the semantics.
• There is no encoding in gimple for many compiler options.
• This poses problems when we begin to inline from one compilation unit to another.
• Everything must be encoded into the gimple semantics.
– This is a lot of work."

can so give a concrete example (source code) where gimple can not endoce all the semantics of the program ??

thanks

Asma