Re: -mtune option for Intel Nehalem

On 4/11/2010 11:02 PM, Rayne wrote:
Hi all,

I can't seem to find the -mtune option for Intel Nehalem architectures (specifically Intel Xeon X5570). I was recommended -mtune=barcelona, but I got an error when compiling that. The closest is -mtune=nocona, which I believe is for the Core2 chips.

Are there any mtune options for Intel Nehalem (for any version of GCC)?

Do you mean you want to use an old version of gcc, issued prior to the advent of -mtune=barcelona? That would reduce your performance potential for vectorized code. It should be obvious, as Nehalem came later than Barcelona, that there would be no optimization for Nehalem in older versions. You would have to experiment yourself to see whether -mtune=nocona helps performance in your case. It's certainly not feasible to give you recommendations covering all old gcc versions, even if we could guess the other factors of your case.

--
Tim Prince