Cross compiler questions

Hi,

I'm attempting to build a GCC cross compiler to target embedded
powerpc targets with no OS.  I have a couple questions.  Sorry if
these have been answered before.

First, why does GCC needed to be built twice -- once before, and once
after building the standard library -- even if GCC is already
installed on the host platform?

And second, is it possible to build a GCC cross compiler without a
standard library?  My applications are very low level.  Basically my C
code just reads and writes hardware registers; it has no use for
anything in stdlib.h, stdio.h, math.h, etc.  I'm having a hard time
finding the magic combinations of binutils, gcc, and newlib that can
build without errors.  I may have better luck if I can remove newlib
and the second GCC build from the equation.

Thanks!

-Tom