Compilation on Apple's OSX 10.4 - 10.6 on Intel machines

Dear all,
My problem is perhaps simple, but so far I haven't found a decent solution. We distribute free software for statistical analysis for a number of platforms and uses. We need to produce executables, statical libraries and dynamically linked libraries
(both .so and .jnilib).
We have figured out how to do that in the gcc environment (the original code is Fortran so it took some creativity, but it works). However, now the solution is coming apart because it does not seem to port across different versions of the OS and different processors.
I can live without 10.4, but I need to support both 10.5 and 10.6.

Does anyone know if there are compilation settings and/or compiler modifications that could help me (e.g., the gfortran used by R seems to be able to do that, but not entirely).

Thanks a lot,

 Lorenzo