Re: floating point inconsistency

Andrew Haley wrote:

BTW, if your Monte Carlo simulation is affected by such tiny
differences in transcendentals, then your simulation really is broken!

Andrew.

I meant to make that point earlier, but overlooked to do so.

Every time you run a Monte Carlo simulation you can expect slightly different results - how slight depends on your budget for CPU time. I once had 24 computers working in parallel on Monte Carlo simulations.

http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/0031-9155/42/6/016

Since the original poster is concerned about portability, send me a bit of code and I'll tell you the result on a SPARC processor or two. I would not be surprised at all if it gave you yet another result.

Dave