Re: Why is gcc going to default to "GNU dialect of ISO C99?"

   I thought gcc's primary aim was to be a *C* compiler. That would
   suggest to me that enabling GNU extensions should not be the
   default, but an option.

That is one of the goals, another goal is GCC is the compiler for the
GNU system and its variant where we wish to make life easier for
hackers by providing useful features, that might not be standard.

You can usually work around these problems by calling c99/c89 instead
of calling gcc.