Re: Help building gcc

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 08:37:04PM +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:

> > Oh wait.  Disregard that.  I think it is openSUSE 11.0
>
> OK, so I'm just hoping that someone who understands openSUSE is going to
> respond.  Fingers crossed...

There are two possibilities (I used only an older openSUSE once):
(compare the documentation e.g. on http://en.opensuse.org/Package_management)
a) if you start a "Terminal" or "Command line" or "Konsole" (I'm just
    not sure how it is called in openSUSE 11)
   you can:
   - first get "root" privileges by typing "su" and then giving your
     root-password
   - install gfortran by typing "zypper install gfortran"
   He will install everything which is needed to run gfortran

The other possibility is the graphics interface:

b) start "YaST". He will ask for your root-password.
   - In YaST, click on  "Software Management"
   - Then you get a search field, where you can search for "gfortran".
     Select the package in the right window, an click on install.

Both possibilites should work fine also under the new openSUSE.

(You only need to do one of the two possibilites!)

Axel