Re: --target= for building gcc cross-compiler?

Németh Márton wrote:
Kai Ruottu wrote:
Németh Márton wrote:
Hi,

I would like to buld a gcc cross compiler for Freescale MPC5554 [1][2] and for
Freescale MPC5534 [3][4]. These are PowerPC based processors with e200z6 and
e200z3 core respectively.
Is there any description where I can find out the right --target= setting?
Only the 'e500' type and AltiVec type cores seem to require a special target type, 'powerpc-*spe*' and 'powerpc-*altivec*'. But the base template for your target name would be 'powerpc-*linux*' because you are going to compile a Linux kernel with it. These two special e500 and AltiVec variations would require you to use either the 'powerpc-*linux-gnuspe' or 'powerpc-*linux-gnualtivec' target name, the
rest would be handled with the usual 'powerpc-*linux-gnu' target name.

Thanks for the answer. My question which remains is that how could you
find out this? Is there a documentation somewhere which I haven't found
or have you used the source code to find out the possible target names?

This "know-how" came from "hanging around", people have tried to produce (optimal) GCCs
for the 'e500' and 'altivec' models and they have got advices for that....

So the usual "use Google and see what you will find" is the best way to find many things. In your case the search words "GCC for PowerPC e200" sounded suitable for me. The point being in "For which group(s) the 'e200z6' and 'e200z3' cores belong in the 'generic', 'spe' and 'altivec' choices?". For me it remained unclear for which group the latter, 'e200z3' belongs, the 'e200z6'
surely was told to have the 'Signal Processing Element' or something....