making changes in gcc code

Hi,

I have bootstrapped gcc 4.4.2 on my machine and now i have to make
changes in gcc code. However, I dont know how to make those changes
effective.Do I need to change the source files accordingly and
bootstrap again or is there any other way of making changes in the
source code and compiling only the affected source files.

Point me to any documentation that may be available.

Thanks in advance

--
cheers
sandy