How to get AST for C source in plugin?

Hi,

I'm trying to do some static analysis of C source using GCC 4.5 and my plugin.

I've tried registering my plugin for PLUGIN_FINISH_UNIT event. My plugin gets called, but I couldn't find a way to access AST - nothing is passed to my plugin as parameter. Maybe there is some GCC's global variable that contains AST I can use?

Alternatively I've tried Kenji Koyanagi's patch (http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2009-03/msg00136.html) and it worked just fine, but I don't know whether this patch is going to be accepted in GCC 4.5 codeline, which can be a show-stopper for me, because I want my plugin to work with standard compiler. Are there plans to add PLUGIN_C_PRE_GENERICIZE event to GCC plugin infrastructure?

Are there any other ways to get AST for the whole translation unit or separate functions in my plugin?

Regards,
Ilya