Re: DEFAULT_CALLER_SAVES doesn't work on the mac

FUNCTION_PROFILER means I am going to write my own profiler and not rely on gprof /( mcount ), unfortunately, the we need to use gprof output because It would be used later for link time code optimization step, so we are bound with -pg switch and mcount. It looks like the only way to solve this problem is to fix gcc, is this correct?
Thanks

From: "Ian Lance Taylor" <iant@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 2:59 PM
To: "Muhammed Fawzy" <mfawzymkh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <gcc-help@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: DEFAULT_CALLER_SAVES doesn't work on the mac

"Muhammed Fawzy" <mfawzymkh@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

I see,  so even writing a plugin to alter the instruction stream
wouldn't help?

In this case, probably not.  The call to mcount is generated very
late.

is it possible to have a flag for gcc to store registers around mcount
calls - through a patch or something, right now apple implementation
for mcount doesn't store registers - except for ebx, esi , and edi,
which technically render the -pg switch broken when profiling fast
call functions, where arguments are passed in ecx and edx
any help regarding this issue is REALLY appreciated.

Sure, that is possible.

Look for FUNCTION_PROFILER in the relevant backend.

Ian