Re: Multiple entry for .text section in executable file

Thomas Martitz wrote:

> Am 19.12.2009 10:07, schrieb Jeffi Edward.J:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I compiled a huge application using powerpc gcc cross compiler. When I
>> parsed my .out file, using readelf program, it displays multiple entry
>> for
>> .text section.
>>
>> NAME                       TYPE            ADDR          OFFSET
>> SIZE
>> .text.func1               PROGBITS      ........
>> .text.func2               PROGBITS      ........
>> .text.func3               PROGBITS      ........
>> .rodata._ZTIN10        PROGBITS      ........
>> .rodata._ZTVSt9ty     PROGBITS      ........
>>
>> Certain symbols displayed in text section ( e.g func1, func2 functions)
>> are
>> part of my application. But symbols displayed in .rodata section
>> (_ZTIN10,
>> _ZTVSt9ty,..) are not at all part of my application. I really don't have
>> any
>> clue.
>>
>> Could you please explain the reason why its displayed? Is there any
>> problem
>> in compilation/linking?
>>
>> best regards,
>> Jeffi Edward
>>

> The _ in front of the symbols indicates that they are generated by gcc.
> Usually rodata also contains the string literals (which don't have an
> explicit symbol name but still need to be in the binary as data). It
> could also be caused by optimizations.
>
> Best regards.

Thank you for the information. I need one more level of clarification.
Does this signify any potential problem in the binary output of my
application? When I loaded my application into target device, exception is
generated. My application is not at all invoked by boot loader. Should I
suspect the generation of multiple entries in .text segment for the
exception?