Re: The system directories can't be changed?

Pan ruochen wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I'm developping with cross gcc toolchain. The size of the shared
> objects of the toolchain
> is a little big. I try linking the applications againast smaller
> libraries like uclibc.
> But I read gcc manual and find no description about how to suppress
> the system directories on linking.
>
> There seems to be no way of changing the default behaviors of invoking
> `gcc' instead of
> `ld' as the linker. Is it?
>
> PRC
> Dec 16,2009

Hey Pan,

system directories like you call them are fixed and hard-coded in the
linker (ld --verbose | grep -i search), but you could use the -L option
of gcc to specify directories which should be searched for libraries
before the default system directories.

But I guess what you want to do is to suppress linking against the
default libraries like libc? In this case, you could use the
-nodefaultlibs option so that no system libraries are automatically used
at link time. But note that you would then possibly have to explicitly
link against libgcc  (which is used  "internally" by gcc  for some
optimizations  or limitations of your system)!

I hope that is what you're searching for ...

- Andi -