Re: GCC 4.3.3 Configure and Build for DDRescue

Hi,
On 12/8/09, Tim Murdoch <timm.murdoch@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'll begin by stating my knowledge of Unix is almost non-existent.
> Using the basic skills that I learned many years ago, I'm currently
> trying to rescue a near dead hard drive with DDRescue.  First, I need
> to install a C++ compiler, which I have downloaded (v4.3.3) and
> unzipped to my Mac.  I've read through the instructions to configure
> and build, but am unable to decipher what I need.  Is there a command
> that will perform a very basic configure and build of GCC 4.3.3?

Have you some kind of binutils installed? you can't build
a program without e.g. linker.

Then, I'd recommend using an older version (e.g. gcc-4.2.4) for the first time;
gcc-4.3.3 depends on MPFR, and you have to have a compiler
to build that library.

And probably your system actually has some sort of package manager,
and it might be easier to install the compiler with it.

Regards,
Ineiev