-fwhole-program and __attribute__((externally_visible))

Hi all,

I've been playing with -flto and -fwhole-program using an SVN snapshot of GCC and I have a couple of questions.

I'm using __attribute__((externally_visible)) to mark the entry points in my executable (which is also a shared object). However, said attribute is not available with all versions of GCC. What's the best way to determine whether it's available or not?

Also, I'm curious as to why above attribute is necessary at all. All my code is built with -fvisibility=hidden, and the exported functions are marked with either __declspec(dllexport) or __attribute__((visibility("default"))), depending on the platform. It seems redundant to specify an additional attribute that means essentially the same thing.

Thanks.