symbol has no version assigned

This problem has eaten up quite a bit of time and so I'm hoping that
someone on this list will have some insight.

I've been trying to compile Libxml2 2.7.4 under Solaris 10.

I've tried both gcc 3.4.6 and gcc 4.3.4.  Both are using Solaris ld
(/usr/ccs/bin/ld).  3.4.6 is using Sun as (/usr/ccs/bin/as). 4.3.4 is
using GNU as from binutils 2.19.

The Libxml2 developers added "symbol versioning" in 2.7.4, and I suspect
that is somehow related to the issues I've been seeing (since 2.7.3
compiles just fine in the same environment).

In both gcc 3.4.6 and gcc 4.3.4, compilation of Libxml2 2.7.4 fails with
the error mentioned below.   I'm not clear on symbol versioning, so I'm
not sure what specifically is going on here.

If anyone has any suggestions or pointers, I'd be eternally grateful.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

I've already contacted the Libxml2 developers, but they were not able
to provide any insight.

Thanks again:

/bin/bash ./libtool --tag=CC   --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.
-I./include -I./include  -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/local/lib/include     -g -O2
-pedantic -W -Wformat -Wunused -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wswitch -Wcomment
-Wtrigraphs -Wformat -Wchar-subscripts -Wuninitialized -Wparentheses
-Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Wwrite-strings -Waggregate-return
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wnested-externs -Winline
-Wredundant-decls -MT xmlstring.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/xmlstring.Tpo -c -o
xmlstring.lo xmlstring.c libtool: compile:  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.
-I./include -I./include -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/local/lib/include -g -O2 -pedantic -W -Wformat
-Wunused -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wswitch -Wcomment -Wtrigraphs -Wformat
-Wchar-subscripts -Wuninitialized -Wparentheses -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith
-Wcast-align -Wwrite-strings -Waggregate-return -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes -Wnested-externs -Winline -Wredundant-decls -MT
xmlstring.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/xmlstring.Tpo -c xmlstring.c  -fPIC -DPIC
-o .libs/xmlstring.o
_fini                               /usr/local/gcc4/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.10/4.3.4/crti.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
_init                               /usr/local/gcc4/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.10/4.3.4/crti.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlErrEncoding                    .libs/parserInternals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlSubstituteEntitiesDefaultValue .libs/globals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlBufferAllocScheme              .libs/globals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlRegisterNodeDefaultValue       .libs/globals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlLoaderErr                      .libs/xmlIO.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
xmlGenericErrorDefaultFunc          .libs/error.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlDefaultSAXLocator              .libs/globals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlPedanticParserDefaultValue     .libs/globals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__dso_handle                        /usr/local/gcc4/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.10/4.3.4/crtbegin.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlIOErr                          .libs/xmlIO.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlParserInputBufferCreateFilenameValue .libs/globals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlStructuredError                .libs/globals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlLineNumbersDefaultValue        .libs/globals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlGenericErrorContext            .libs/globals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlSimpleError                    .libs/error.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlStructuredErrorContext         .libs/globals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlOutputBufferCreateFilename     .libs/xmlIO.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlRaiseError                     .libs/error.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
xmlAutomataSetFlags                 .libs/xmlregexp.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
xmlXPtrAdvanceNode                  .libs/xpointer.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlGetWarningsDefaultValue        .libs/globals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
htmlDecodeEntities                  .libs/legacy.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlDoValidityCheckingDefaultValue .libs/globals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlDeregisterNodeDefaultValue     .libs/globals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlGlobalInitMutexUnlock          .libs/threads.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
xmlMallocBreakpoint                 .libs/xmlmemory.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
_lib_version                        /usr/ccs/lib/values-Xa.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlGlobalInitMutexDestroy         .libs/threads.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
xmlAllocOutputBufferInternal        .libs/xmlIO.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
xmlDllMain                          ./libxml2.syms
xmlUpgradeOldNs                     .libs/legacy.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlParserVersion                  .libs/globals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlLastError                      .libs/globals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
xmlNsListDumpOutput                 .libs/xmlsave.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlLoadExtDtdDefaultValue         .libs/globals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlOutputBufferCreateFilenameValue .libs/globals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
xmlCharEncFirstLineInt              .libs/encoding.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlDefaultBufferSize              .libs/globals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__docbDefaultSAXHandler             .libs/globals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlIndentTreeOutput               .libs/globals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlRegisterCallbacks              .libs/tree.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlSaveNoEmptyTags                .libs/globals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlParserInputBufferCreateFilename .libs/xmlIO.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlGlobalInitMutexLock            .libs/threads.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__htmlDefaultSAXHandler             .libs/globals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlDefaultSAXHandler              .libs/globals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__oldXMLWDcompatibility             .libs/globals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlTreeIndentString               .libs/globals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__htmlParseContent                  .libs/HTMLparser.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlGenericError                   .libs/globals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlParserDebugEntities            .libs/globals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
__xmlKeepBlanksDefaultValue         .libs/globals.o  (symbol has no version assigned)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to .libs/libxml2.so.2.7.4

Stanley E. Laufer
Network Administrator
San Jose State University