Re: Poor man's JIT compiler

Hi, Dean.

My initial attempt at compiler options was just -O0.

That resulted in the jmp insertion problem, so I conjectured
that there might be some alignment requirements/desires that
would result in jmp instructions being added to make each
labeled fragment start on an "appropriate" boundary.
Clearly, the no-align options did not help.

So, I just tried out your suggestion:

#define OP(nm, cod)  \
FS##nm: cod          \
   asm("nop" : : );  \
FE##nm:

This has the effect of inserting a NOP at the end of each code fragment.
And, it DOES appear to work (although I just quickly eyeballed
the asm code, so I might be missing something). I'll give
it more a careful workover tomorrow. (That was WITH the current
-noalign options still active.)

Now, what was it that led you to propose that inserting a NOP
would have the desired effect?

Many thanks for your reply!
Robert

Dean Anderson wrote:
I suspect it does this because of instruction alignment and pipelining
issues.   Why are you trying to turn off alignment?

You might try adding a nop after each one.
		--Dean