Re: --without-headers and --with-newlib configure options

booleandomain <booleandomain@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> --with-newlib tells the compiler to use newlib headers wherever
> possible (also for other libraries than libgcc). --without-headers
> tells the compiler to build libgcc (only it) without any headers at
> all.

Yes.  Note that --without-headers is the default for a cross-compiler.

> So if I use --without-headers --with-newlib, libgcc will be built
> without requiring the presence of any header, and other libraries will
> be built with newlib headers.

Yes.

> If I use --without-headers alone, libgcc will be built without
> requiring the presence of any headers, and other libraries will be
> built with libc headers.

When building a cross-compiler, in practice what will happen is that
libgcc will build and the other libraries will fail to build.

> If I use --with-newlib alone, libgcc and other libraries will be built
> with newlib headers.

Yes.

> If I use nothing, libgcc and other libraries will be built with libc
> headers.

When building a cross-compiler, you do need to provide some headers for
the libraries other than libgcc.  In other words, at build time, the
compiler needs to be able to find the libc headers.  This is typically
done using one of --with-newlib, --with-sysroot, or
--with-build-sysroot.

> So I think I can use either --without-headers --with-newlib or
> --with-newlib alone for bootstrapping a cross-compiler.

Yes.

Ian