Re: question about gcc compiler

2009/7/2 Yapparova Lilya <c-rulit@xxxxxxxxx>:

> We`d like to use a compiler gcc to compile our application. I know that gcc exists under special exception which allows to use it for commercial application.
>
> I have 2 questions:
>
> If we use a static linking with gcc  -  should we distribute our application on the terms of GPL?  or can we distribute our application under the terms of our license?

The difference is whether you're using gcc, or deriving from it.

- If you *use* GCC to compile and link *your own* code, the output can
be under whatever license you want.  (This is the normal usage.)

- If you *compile* GCC *into your* code (by linking, copy-paste, or
whatever), then your code must also be under GPL.  (You might want to
do this if you're writing an IDE, for example, and want to leverage
GCC's parsers.)

IANAL, of course,
~ Scott