Adding the address of an exception/interrupt handler to the vector table

Hi,

As far as I have been able to find out it is not possible to write an
interrupt function where its address is added to a selectable position in
the vector table automatically by the compiler/linker. Just to be certain
would that be right?

Would I be correct in thinking that a normal function could be used as an
ISR in which case I do not need to use the __attribute__((interrupt)) at
all? If this is the case what is this attribute used for?

Regards John