Re: portability of __m128i static initializers between gcc and Microsoft C

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> "Blower, Melanie" <melanie.blower@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> I discovered an incompatability of the type definition of __m128i
>> between gcc and Microsoft C that may cause a problem when moving
>> source code between these two compilers when static initializers are
>> used. Is there a process to address discrepancies of this nature?
>
> The __m128i type is specified by Intel.  So if gcc differs from icc, we
> should change it.
>
> Ian
As H J Lu and others at Intel are working on compatibility issues between
icc and gcc on linux, it seems they should be in the loop.  If you choose
to submit a gcc bugzilla report, you could include them in your list of
people to be notified.
Microsoft doesn't necessarily follow anyone's lead on such issues, but
compatibility between Intel and Microsoft compilers is a likely goal.
It sometimes requires experimentation among equivalent choices to find one
which works on gcc, icc, and MSVC.  As there is no fixed standard, you
can't expect all possible choices which are equivalent on one compiler to
work on all the others.