TYPE_DECL nodes and what type they represent

Hello,

I'm somewhat at a loss with getting the type information out of TYPE_DECL
nodes. From the comments in the code it seems like I should be able to
identify not only the typedef name but also the original builtin / compound
type which is the base for the typedef.
I've found the DECL_ORIGINAL_TYPE macro but I've not been able to get the type
from its return value so far. Any pointers to documentation or code with nice
comments about this would be welcome. The tree documentation in the wiki is
nice but I couldn't find the required information there.

Bye,
David