Re: Can I build gcc 4.2.4 for 64 bit Intel Solaris 10 on a 64 bit Linux machine?

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:19:54 -0700
Ian Lance Taylor <iant@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> <randux@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 08:28:55 -0700
> > Ian Lance Taylor <iant@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> <randux@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >>
> > Am I supposed to create the same path to the Solaris libraries and
> > system files on my Linux box when I build the cross compiler as are
> > in use on the Solaris machine?
>
> The path itself doesn't have to be the same, and indeed since you will
> be copying over /usr/include it should not be the same--you don't want
> to replace your Linux /usr/include with the Solaris /usr/include.
> Instead, pick a system root, e.g. /home/randux/solaris.  Then copy the
> files from Solaris into that root, so that you wind up with, e.g.,
> /home/randux/solaris/usr/include.  Then run configure using
> --with-sysroot=/home/randux/solaris.

Hi Ian,

Thanks. I understood from your post that sysroot is used to point to the
Solaris files but I couldn't figure out how the end compiler is
supposed to know its path when it is finally built, because the sysroot
path won't exist on the target machine. I guess this is specified later
when building the target compiler somehow.

> > I forgot to ask, is the target really sparc-sun-solaris for Solaris
> > on Intel? This is one of the confusing things. I couldn't find on
> > the gcc web pages which target to specify for x64 Solaris.
>
> I'm not sure that gcc has explicit support for x86_64 Solaris systems.
> That might be very easy to add, I don't know.  For 32-bit Intel
> Solaris systems use something like i686-sun-solaris2.

For me the point will be enabling a full 64 bit compiler and taking
advantage of this expensive box I have sitting here. When you say this
may be easy to add for Solaris, does it mean something special has to be
done to gcc itself to support it?

Thanks,
Randall
Sutaz s InPage o ceny za viac ako 2000 Euro. Info na www.inpage.sk. Domena, webhosting, e-mail a seo od 10 centov/denne.