Re: Aligning on some odd address?

Hello Brian,

On Montag, 20. April 2009, Brian Budge wrote:
> The thing to do is to take a look at what the inner structs look like
> WITHOUT the piece that is checked for termination.  Then, based on the size
> and alignment, we can figure out something fairly optimal.  Can you post a
> couple of the structs that are kept in arrays?
There are about 30 different of them; look in recent kernel sources for eg.
	acpi_device_id (20/24 bytes)
	pci_device_id (28/32 bytes)
	usb_device_id (20/24 bytes)
	pcmcia_device_id (28/36 bytes)
The byte counts are just 'estimated' by looking at the types; you can find
more of these structures in include/linux/mod_devicetable.h.

I think I'll either just extend the structures holding pointer to such arrays
to include the number of elements (and make that nice to use via a macro), or
embed these arrays in a structure that includes a (small) terminating element
after them.

Thank you for your worries ;-)
All I originally wanted to know whether non-even alignments could be
specified, like 12 (mod. 16) - and this doesn't seem possible (without wasting
the space before that).

Regards,

Phil