GCC assmbler for powerpc-eabi

We are looking at GCC and another compiler for use on an embedded
powerpc project and in comparing the two compilers I get this,

>From GCC
	lis 9,pstr@ha
	lwz 0,pstr@l(9)
	mr 3,0
	crxor 6,6,6
	bl atoi
	mr 29,3

>From vendor
172		lwz	r3, 532(r31)
173		bl	atof
174		bl	_d_dtof
175		stw	r3, 12(sp)

GCC appears to be doing some extra work here and I am at a loss to work
out what it is doing this for, why the crxor 6,6,6 from my reading this
is the floating point exception in the CR, and GCC does this every time,
as here...

	lwz 3,8(31)
	lis 9,.LC1@ha
	la 4,.LC1@l(9)
	mr 5,29
	mr 6,0
	crxor 6,6,6
	bl sprintf

Can some one explain this seemingly irrelevant extra step..