Re: .gnu.linkonce.? and .gcc_except_table

Hi Ian,

Yes my question was not particularly well worded. Basically I have two
problem areas.

The first is exactly what does .gnu.linkonce. mean and I think you have
answered that one for me already. This is my understanding please correct me
if I am wrong.

"Unlike other input section types a section that is prefixed with
.gni.linkonce. is treated differently by the linker. If for example
.gnu.linkonce.t.abc appears in two or more different object files then the
linker will only keep one and discard the others."

The second is to create an object file that contains a link once section in
it which can be verified with say objdump. So far my attempts to do this
have only resulted in .text sections being created.

Is there an example, perhaps, that will cause this illusive link once
section to appear in an object file? Do they actually appear in C programs?

Many thanks for your time.
Best regards John Farmer