Re: installing GCC

dan hitt wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> I think the issue is that for somebody new to ubuntu, it is
> very, very surprising that there's no compiler.  It certainly
> was to me.
>
> And the answer to your reasonable question can be either:
> (1) that whoever is doing it does not yet know the
>  command sequence
>          sudo apt-get install gcc

Or (for newbies, OK)

System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager

Click the package "gcc" and "mark for installation".

> (2) that whoever is doing it has a lousy internet connection, so
> that these apt-get commands take so long they are not really
> feasible.
>
> (And even though this is getting afield from gcc, ubuntu is free
> software, and it is popular, so it comes up.)

Yeah, and Ubuntu comes as standard with a very cut-down installer that'll
fit on a CDR, so you have to install most packages afterwards.  At least,
it's only a CD image that I see on their getubuntu page.

Andrew.