Re: Where did the warning go?

Hi Eivind,

> If -Weverything is impossible, then I wish a flag that enables every
> single warning that might be relevant for my programming style. Probably
> others would want this for their programming styles too. But if there are
> too many different programming styles to have -Weverything-style-*, then
> how about having -Weverything anyway, and let people disable warnings that
> don't fit with their style?

CAVEAT:

-Weverything (were it to be incorporated) would only enable toggle flag
warnings.  It would not enable exceeded threshold warnings (since those
warnings have to be supplied a threshold parameter) or parameter based
warnings (since those warnings require a parameter).

I, for one, am entirely in favor of a -Weverything flag, and then explicitly
opt-out, ala -Wno-foo, on a case-by-case basis.

I have asked for that feature in the past, on this forum, but did not meet
with any interest amongst the GCC developers, nor any interest (at that
time*) from other GCC users.  For the self-same reasons expressed in this
recent discussion.

Of course, there's always the GCC is open source, add the flag yourself
option.  (I do often build my own GCC, but I don't normally fiddle with the
source code.)

Sincerely,
--Eljay

* Now there is both of us!  :-)