Re: moving gcc from the installation path: is it allowed?

Michael Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> As long as you move the whole tree, and execute the compiler via a full
> pathname, it should work (and are not running under VMS).  Here the code in
> gcc.c that does this:

Thanks a lot. Do you know if this is the relevant ChangeLog entry?

    2006-11-13  Carlos O'Donell  <carlos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                Mark Mitchell  <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

            * gcc.c: Organize search path variables into $prefix relative,
            and well-known native. Add comments.
            (add_sysrooted_prefix): Add comment.
            (process_command): If !gcc_exec_prefix add $prefix based paths.
            If *cross_compile == '0', add native well-known paths.
            Assert tooldir_base_prefix is always relative.
            (main): If print_search_dirs, and if gcc_exec_prefix is set,
            use this value for 'install:' path.
            * Makefile.in: Add GCC_EXEC_PREFIX to generated site.exp.

I certainly remember a time when paths were hardcoded in gcc's binary
and I need to figure out which versions of GCC can be safely moved
around. In my industry people are still using unbelivably old versions
of gcc. Don't ask. My industry is where people design processors and
other chips so that people can run newer versions of gcc :-)

Thanks a lot,

       Maurizio

--
Maurizio Vitale