-fpic vs -fpie + -pie vs -shared

hi,

I have spent some time reading the gcc+ld manual to try to figure out
what these options really do. The manual is clear on how these options
should be used but I would like to know "the fine print", that is,
what they actually do without having to dive into the gnu ld code for
my platform (i386). Is there existing documentation on the
platform-specific details of these options ?

Mathieu
--
Mathieu Lacage <mathieu.lacage@xxxxxxxxx>