Re: Fwd: Re: GCC-4-3.2 Build /Possible configuration problems

Franklyn Simon wrote:

This is what I did:

I. Unpacked sources
1. # mkdir /opt/gcc-4.3.2
2. Under /opt/gcc-4.3.2, I unpacked the gcc sources
3.  Both gmp, mpfr. And binutils are unpacked under /opt/gcc-4.3.2

Understood... The 'gmp' and 'mpfr' sources seem to be in their proper
places...

II. Build and configure
* build and configure binutils under /opt/build_binutils using /usr/local/gcc-4.3.2 as prefix * build and configure gmp and mpfr in their directory /opt/gcc-4.3.2/gmp and /opt/gcc-4.3.2/mpfr using /usr/local/gcc-4.3.2 as prefix

Configuring and building gmp and mpfr of course leaves the build results
there...

III. GCC-4.3.2

   * Configure and build in /usr/local/gcc-4.3.2 as follows
   * # cd /usr/local/gcc-4.3.2
* /usr/local/gcc-4.3.2 # /opt/gcc-4.3.2/configure –prefix=/usr/local/gcc-4.3.2 etc
      4. /usr/local/gcc-4.3.2 # make    --- this went it failed

When the gmp and mpfr sources are among the GCC sources the configure
phase tries to (re)configure them... And doesn't grok the current
state (already configured and built) in them :(

Much worser thing is that your install $prefix is the same as your
"temporary GCC build directory" :(  How on earth you could have done
a choice like this?  What this totally unexpected thing could cause
is hard to say, but at least in the install time weird things will
happen...

My understanding:

The prerequisites for GCC indicate that both gmp and mpfr will be built together with GCC if they are subdirectories of the GCC sources.

Yes, this seems to be true...

I tried that but had problems since gcc did not know where to get gmp.h amd mpfr.h and their libraries.

I must check your situation, unfortunately I had older versions for gmp
and mpfr installed although the configure seemed to use the things in
the sources, when I tried quite a similar build. But who knows what
could happen if there aren't any old gmp and mpfr headers and libraries
available for the host compiler yet...

However, when I configured and compiled both of them it their source
> directories using /usr/local/gcc-4.3.2 as prefix, I did not have that
> problem.

Your chosen $prefix is a little unusual, the recommended prefix for the
native things is '--prefix=/usr', then the headers would go into the
'/usr/include' and libs into '/usr/lib'... If your native system didn't
have them, why not build & install them?

I do not think a really understand about building gmp and mpfr together
> with gcc.

Basically all the stuff in '/opt' is okay, only the gmp and mpfr sources
shouldn't be configured and built yet so running 'make distclean' in
them is recommended. When building GCC these sources too should be
handled automatically...

Please further advise me of what I am doing wrong.

Just change your GCC build directory into '/usr/local/gcc-4.3.2/build'
or something which isn't the same as the $prefix ! And then try again...

I started a new GCC build after removing the old gmp and mpfr headers
and libraries, and after updating my sources to gmp-4.2.4 and mpfr-2.4.0
(the release of the latter announced today).... Seems to have configured
in 'gmp' and builds there just now...