Searching docs about the internal structure of GCC

Hi,

I'm trying to do some research and for a first step I'd like to access C/C++
as a syntax tree which should still be close to the original code. From the
documentation in gcc/doc I gathered that using the tree representation from
the C(++) frontend is probably what I'm looking for. Unfortunately the
documentation tells me much about how to work with these data types but I'm
missing some information on where to put my code to get it executed at the
right time...
Is there some more detailed documentation about which file contains what and
the usual call stack for a compile?

David