Re: Building 64 bit compiler on Solaris AMD64

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 11:58 AM, Scott L. Burson <Scott@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have figured out how to build a 64-bit GCC 4.3.2 on Solaris AMD64.
> I wanted to build a 64 bit compiler (I mean, one where the compiler
> executables are 64 bit) for performance.

Whoops -- I spoke a little too soon.  The build succeeded, but the
resulting compiler works only when given the -m64 flag, because what
it expects to be 32-bit libraries (crtbegin.o, etc.) have been
forcibly compiled for 64 bits.

I guess I'll have to do the usual 32-bit build -- and then, if I
really want 64-bit compiler executables, hand-merge the install trees.

Anyone have a better idea?  The obvious thing would seem to be to
configure for an x86_64 target, as one would on 64-bit Linux, but that
doesn't work on Solaris -- gcc/configure rejects it during stage 1
configuration.  (This would also presumably produce a compiler that
would build 64 bit objects by default, but I don't mind that.)

-- Scott