ARM processor ABI

Hi,
    Who defines ABI(Application Binary Interface) for a processor??
Processor or compiler or operating systems???
I have "Elsevier-ARM System Developer's Guide _ Designing and
Optimizing System SoftwareleeFrom_1_To_703" book.
In that ABI is not defined.

So I think compiler defines ABI for a processor.
Where can I get ABI for ARM processor?? (defined by GCC incase GCC defines it).

Also I have been looking at assembly code of ARM processor produced by gcc.
In that there is a register named 'ip'.
But in arm processor manual  register 'ip' is defined. It must be one
of R0 to R15.
How to know register 'ip' = R0 or R1 or R2 ....R15.
Where this kind of information  is defined?

There are many versions of Arm. Armv4 , Armv5, Armv6.....
I am using gcc cross compiler(on x86) to produce arm code.
Is there any flag that can be given to gcc which will tell you for
what processor and version it is compiling?

What is the difference between FRAME POINTER and STACK POINTER on ARM processor?
Who defines them??  compiler ??
Any material on this for ARM processor please.

Thanks in advance.