Re: sync_add_and_fetch problem

Charles Crisler wrote:
Thank you. I had already found your reference.

Which file contains the definition of this built-in function?

It is built-in to the compiler (that is why it is called a "Built-in function for atomic memory access"), so it doesn't really exist in any file external to the compiler. The only place it is documented is in the compiler's manual.

I suppose that I could write a main() that called an increment function
and that function could call this function.

What would you need? If I supply just source it would seem that wouldn't
be worth much.

I don't really understand your question.

You could look in the compiler's testsuite at these programs to see how to use it:

gcc/testsuite/gcc.dg/sync-1.c
gcc/testsuite/gcc.dg/sync-2.c
gcc/testsuite/gcc.dg/sync-3.c

My co-workers are using v. 4.2.4, though one just built the entire
system with 4.3.2 and it did not have this problem. However, I would
kind of like to isolate the problem before I upgrade, which is why I
asked about the file it is defined in. I greped -inr
"__sync_add_and_fetch" /usr/include/*.h and didn't find it. Since that
module compiles without a warning, that suggests that the compiler found
it.

See above, it doesn't exist external to the compiler.

David Daney