Re: Fwd: GCC Optimization for expressions

Nirav Shah wrote:

> I am working on study of data sharing characteristic of Blackscholes
> application of Parsec benchmark. I need to come up with better data
> sharing foot print of execution.

> No expression is evaluated in loop nor any particular intermediate
> result is used more than once. Given this, can I get benefit in terms
> of lesser clock cycle to execute the computation if done in a single
> statement as compared to done over multiple statements with local
> variables?
>
> Regards,
> Nirav Shah.
Black-Scholes benchmarking has consumed a great deal of technical
marketing time, without in most cases divulging source code.   Referring
to a public example, http://www.espenhaug.com/black_scholes.html which
doesn't seem to bear much relationship to your comments.  That example
shows an apparent total ignorance of Horner's rule, along with the
unexplained sequence (1 - (1 - .....), protected against simplification by
-ffast-math.  Maximum delay and cancellation of precision for minimum effort.
The Fortran-ish version (not compliant with any Fortran standard, but may
"work") tries to prevent optimization by using floating point exponents,
but that's not as much of a sin as evaluating a polynomial with multiple
pow() evaluations.

The whole thing is complicated enough that you would want to use at least
gprof to determine where you could work usefully to improve performance.
If you were set this exercise as a university project, was it really the
intent to solicit uniformed opinions about how to proceed?

I'm amazed at the Parsec site claim to support world-wide downloads, it's
so slow.