Re: Need some clarification about optimization flags, what "exactly" does -O1 do?

Andrzej Giniewicz wrote:

>> Yeah, but that bug almost certainly isn't in the code you're looking at.
>>
>> I've recently seen a bug that was triggered by -O in an enum where the
>> declaration was:
>>
>>   enum Cell {
>>    Cell_0
>>   };
>>
>> and gcc quite correctly assumed that a Cell could only have one value.
>>
>> I'm not saying I'm absolutely certain this isn't a bug in gcc.  It's just
>> that it probably isn't.
>
> interesting, seems like something similar, any hints how to start
> tracking real issue?
>
> thanks in advance for your help,
> Andrzej.
>
> btw... I found the flag... - well, kind of... -O0 and -O0 -ftree-dce
> and -O1 -fno-tree-dce all works, but -O1 as stated before don't... so
> I can workaround the issue just for now with -fno-tree-dce until real
> one is found - this gives me some more time :)

That's interesting.  tree-dce is Dead Code Elimination on trees, where
gcc removes code that can't possibly be reached.  It's possible that
there's a bug in DCE, but I bet it's something like the enum bug above.
If you're interested in finding the real bug I can tell you how to read
the compiler dumps.

Andrew.