Re: Best way of compiling applications to run on older linux distros

Obvisously one solution is to compile on Centos 4, using a gcc such as 3.4.
However I'd like to use the latest gcc is I can.

Don't.  if you want to run on Centos 4, build on Centos 4.

I don't just want to run on Centos4. I want to produce an application that will run on a wide variety of linux without having one version compiled for each disto. Much like I'd do on, say, Windows.

Seems remarkable to me that if I want my application to run on Centos 4 (which isn't exactly old), then I'm forced to use the vintage of compiler that was around at the time. Or is the point that I can use gcc 4.3, I've just got to build it up and then run it on Centos4 for the results to work.