RE: Problem building cross-compiler for mips

 > From: meissner
 >    a)  Configure binutils with --prefix=.
 >    b)  Build and install bintuils.
 >
 >    c)  Configure gcc with --prefix= --with-as=/bin/-as
 >      --with-ld=/bin/-ld.  Build, and compiler fails in
 >    libgcc.  Go into the gcc directory and do make install.
 >
 >   d)  Put /bin and /bin on your PATH.
 >
 >    e)  Configure newlib with --prefix=.  Build and install.
 >
 >   f)  Go back to the binutils build directory, reconfigure adding
 >     --with-sysroot=.  Build and install.
 >
 >    g)  Go back to the gcc build directory, reconfigure adding
 >      --with-sysroot=.  Hopefully at this time, the build and
 >    install should succeed.

Michael, Thank you for spelling this out clearly.

But isn't this one of the things a merged tree is supposed to handle "automatically"?
ie: substituting one bit of work for slightly different work?
  Like:

   cd /src
   mkdir gcc
   cd gcc
   mkdir gmp
   mkdir mpfr
   # binutils first, so that gcc overrides it
   tar --strip-components=1 -xf ../binutils-2.18.tar.gz
   tar --strip-components=1 -xf ../gcc-4.3.2.tar.gz
   cd gmp
   tar --strip-components=1 -xf ../../gmp-version.tar.gz
   cd ../mpfr
   tar --strip-components=1 -xf ../../mpfr-version.tar.gz
   mkdir /obj
   cd /obj
   /src/gcc/configure ...
   make
   make install

 ???

 (--strip-components is missing in most versions of tar, so I need to write that otherwise..but for now I require recent GNU tar).

 >      --with-ld=/bin/-ld.  Build, and compiler fails in
 >    libgcc.  Go into the gcc directory and do make install.

  Better to configure -disable-libgcc? Like so that you can just expect success?
  Or, if one is automating this, when ignoring the error, ensure that gcc/xgcc exists?
  Or even just do like "make all-gcc" or such?

 >    g)  Go back to the gcc build directory, reconfigure adding

 The preexisting build directories should be deleted entirely, right?
 Or does this work well incrementally?
A few times by accident I've seen configure error whenever rerun with a different command line.

The prefix in cases be omitted and the default /usr/local used?
I think I saw a warning to install into a directory to which you have not previous installed. Seems a bit onerous on the user, but also onerous to implement otherwise -- you don't know what files to delete that older/broken installed put there.

Thanks,
 - Jay