Library tripled in size with GCC 4.2

I am using GCC 4.2 with Mac OS X 10.5 and Xcode 3.1.1

When I build my library under GCC 4.0, the static library is ~400mb. If the only switch I make is to GCC 4.2, that same library is ~1.2GB.

The issue seems to be with the amount of debugging information generated as when I build the release version, GCC 4.2 produces a smaller library then GCC 4.0.

I believe the only relevant flag that I am using is -gdwarf-2 for both GCC 4.2 and GCC 4.0.

Is GCC 4.2 adding a far greater amount of debugging information to the library?

What flags can control this?
The flags I found were:

      -feliminate-dwarf2-dups

However, this flag generated a bunch of the following errors:

{standard input}:50796:Expected comma after segment-name
{standard input}:50796:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character valued 32 ( ).

       -feliminate-unused-debug-types

This flag didn't seem to affect the size of the library at all.

       -glevel

I cannot go down to level 1 because of the information that would not be included. I cannot go up to level 3 because that would appear to just make the library bigger.

Any comments, hints or suggestions?