Re: setting pointer width

Hi harshit shah,

I do not understand what you are trying to do.

Do you want ints to be 64-bit on a 32-bit word architecture?

Do you want pointers to be 64-bit on a 32-bit memory address architecture?

Do you want both ints and pointers to be 64-bit on a 32-bit word & 32-bit
memory address architecture?

Either change will violate your platform's ABI.

You wont be able to access system calls or the standard C library (or any
other shared library), or use input or output, from the object code compiled
from a non-ABI compliant compiler.  You'll need to recompile any libraries
you use.  If you want to access system calls or standard C library, you'll
need to write your own springboard routines*, probably in assembly, to
convert from your non-ABI-compliant ints and pointers to ABI-compliant.

As an alternative to consider, I recommend using a 64-bit platform.
Probably a lot less work.

Another alternative is to write your own virtual machine that uses 64-bit
ints and pointers, and then write a cross-compiler to your virtual machine.

Sincerely,
--Eljay

* springboard routines / thunk routines / trampoline routines ... I'm not
sure what the correct terminology is.